*This has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find a topic discussing by criteria and I believe we need an updated discussion for 2013.*
It's common sense that having a good review in booking websites is one of the ways to increase the occupation rate. So, I would like to rise up what makes a hostel close to 100% rating, pointing the top 5 items by criteria to reach this mark. We have in the forum many discussion about a perfect hostel, lists, but it is also necessary to go deep by criteria showing what is necessary to be there. The intention is to use the answers to revise our hostels and (try to) improve it.
Just to standardize the answers and maintain the "scientific base", I will suggest 2 rules:
1) the items will be in priority order and let's limit to the 5 most important.
2) for each criteria, justify your list of items with a hostel doing them that actually has more than 100 reviews in HW (last 6 months) and is currently with 95+ in this criteria.
I prepared my list considering only hostels I stayed during my Eurotrip (jul-sep'12) and would like to know your opinion about it or your own list of items.
- don't wait to answer all criterias, send the ones you feel comfortable to answer.
- let's try to stay in the basics, there are hostels offering super services that can't be offered by others, but let's focus on the ones that do the basics well.
- I know criterias analysis can vary depending on the country the hostel is so I repeat the rule above.
- some of my items are very open, it would be great if you could be more specific.
*** Character / Facilities *** (Travellers house - Lisbon)
1- Good shape bed, comfortable mattress and space bedroom.
2- Good shape bathroom, can be shared or suite, 1 shower for each 8 beds.
3- Good shape furniture and space common area.
4- Reading light by bed and number of close sockets.
5- Open, good shape kitchen.
*** Security / Safety *** (The Naughty Squirrel - Riga)
1- Lockers that fit the whole backpack.
2- Controlled entrance to the hostel or front door key for backpackers.
3- Locked Bedrooms, with key or card.
*** Location *** (Apple Hostel Italy - St Petersburg)
1- Be close to public transport.
2- Be close to main attractions.
3- Be close to bars/clubs.
4- Be in a safe area.
*** Staff *** (Greg & Tom - Krakow)
1- Speak good english.
2- Be friendly.
3- Know the city and its atractions.
4- Interact constantly with the backpackers.
*** Atmosphere *** (Greg & Tom Party - Krakow)
1- Confortable and welcoming common area.
2- Internal Events to put everyone together (Free drink time, Free Dinner, Language lesson, etc.).
3- Hight energy staff.
4- Centralized external event (eg: offering just one ext night event per day in order to put all together.
5- Common areas well placed to incentivate backpacker presence (not hidden).
*** Cleanliness *** (Travellers house - Lisbon)
1- Bathrooms cleaned MORE than once a day.
2- Common areas and rooms cleaned once a day.
3- Good shape linen.
4- Good shape furniture and building.
*** Value ***
1- This criteria is only used by Hostelbookers yet. In my opinion the key here is to offer more and better services than the other hostels in city for the same bed price or less.