being an experienced backpacker... i love it when things are free, and hate it when i'm charged for everything... funny enough.
BAD HOSTEL, I WAS AT.
new hostel in brazil, nice english couple... but here's what they charged you for, don't remember the cost of each item...
1.To watch a DVD, in there tiny reception/tv room... small couch... or pay extra to rent a tv and dvd palyer.
2. Internet, common enough... but finding it free more and more.
3. book exchange and charge... the worst of the lot. if you wanted to exchange a book... you had to give 2 books for 1 book... or 1 book plus extra charge...
They came out with us for a few drinks, and asked for our opinions, i was honest with em... they weren't too impressed.
Free surf boards/wet suit and free surf lessons... the lessons were once a week.
free dvd... internet, you had to pay for... but free surf lessons!
If i get my act together, i'd like to offer free wi fi (if it's under $20 a month)
free book exchange.
free to watch dvd's... this is a no brainer
free breakfast, tea and coffee.
free towel? not sure about this one... many hostels charge for this, must be a reason?
can anyone else offer any other suggestions... that make your hostel that bit more special?
as for extra income? suggestions please, i'm thinking
1. small shop, sweets, drinks
2. small bar, if the licence is cheap enough.
3. kayak, surf board rental (i know it was free in SA, but i'm only starting out here :D)
4. food? is this worth it... maybe just a barbie once a week?
5. tours? if you're starting out... what's the best way to approach this, with little capital? team up with a local tour operator? can you charge commission for business you send there way?