You will definitely want your guests to be able to find you easily. Being close to the bus/train station or the airport would be convenient for your guests when they arrive and when they depart with their heavy bags. As long as there is public transportation nearby that your guests can use to reach you easily, then being very close to the train/bus station or airport becomes less important. Giving them clear directions will also make a big difference.
For the majority of the time that your guests spend in your hostel, they are going to be more interested in having easy access to the cool things in the city. If you’re located close to the cultural center or nightlife area, then that will probably be a big plus for you.
Whether or not you have a good location is very subjective, and you won’t be able to please everyone. You can influence the way your guests feel about your location, though, by clearly telling them why you’re in a good spot. Perhaps you are located close to:
- Great bars
- Really good or really cheap restaurants
- Beautiful nature
- Monuments, museums, or other touristic attractions
- An incredibly convenient 24-hour market
- A movie theatre that plays films in the original language
- A swimming pool
- A quiet residential neighborhood where they can be sure of getting a restful night’s sleep