Who is guilty of disposing of mattresses after a bed bug infestation? They tell you to carefully bag it in a polythene bag and seal it so no live bed bugs can escape then dispose of the mattress correctly. Hey that might be OK for one mattress but what about a large hostel that has perhaps 200+ mattresses? OMG that is so expensive!
HAVE BED BUGS WILL TRAVEL
Once you get bed bugs the little critters migrate to as many beds and mattresses in the hostel as possible, guests itching like a hound and not good for the hostel on reviews! When you let the situation get out of control the migration of the bed bugs become more costly as they set up home in different dorms. The answer is early detection and attend to the issue swiftly!
THROWING OUT MATTRESSES IS A FINANCIAL KILLER
Yes sorry to remind you of that experience of having to toss out all the mattresses and replacing with new, finacially its a killer! There is no cheap mattress option, even the most basic, uncomfortable mattress sets you back a pretty packet, so replacing 200 mattresses is a disaster to the hostel funds.
THE SOLUTION & KNOWING THE TRUTH
There are many mattress companies out there that claim their models are beg bug proof, but the simple truth is there is no such thing as a bed bug proof mattress.
Invest correctly in the beginning to eliminate the need to discard mattresses, use a bed bug RESISTANT mattress SYSTEM that has the following attributes:
- Comfort and support! They been hiking all day, they need a good nights sleep!
- Fancy inner spring? No no, that's a good home for bed bugs! A high quality, high rebound medium density foam is the most practicle for a hostel!
- A foam core is lighter in weight, is more manageable for housekeeping duties.
- The mattress cover has to be water resistant [not hard, noisy plastic PVC] and have NO SEAMS as this is where the bed bugs hide!
- The cover must completely seal in the foam core to prevent the bed bugs from entering and a zip that allows the cover to be easily removed and machine washed, this kills bed bugs!
Choosing the right mattress from day 1 saves the hostel many thousands of dollars over time and if the hostel adopts a periodic mattress cover cleaning schedule, the prevention of bed bugs settling is a good plan!
See below an example of a bed bug RESISTANT mattress and cover, a more 'satin' soft feel cover that breathes out is far better than a hard plastic PVC bag!
If you need more information about using bed beg resistant bunk beds and mattresses, please message me direct, we love to help and advice is free to those who need it.
Good luck guy's!
Will Lewis [ESS Global]
USA & CANADA http://heavydutybunkbeds.com
UK SCAN & EU http://heavydutybunkbed.co.uk
CHINA, JAPAN, ASIA http://heavydutybunkbeds.com