Do you know how to properly clean a mattress if a guest wets the bed?
Here are some suggestions compiled from WikiHow, YahooAnswers, Fisher Price, and EHow:
To treat a wet stain:
To treat a urine stain that is already dry:
- Dampen the area with water using a sponge or cloth to dilute the stain and the smell. (Don’t soak the fabric)
- Rub Borax into the stain.
- Allow it to dry completely
- Vacuum any excess powder.
To treat general stains, not limited to urine:
- Mix 8oz (240ml) of 3% Hydrogen peroxide with 3 tablespoons (45g) of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and mix until the baking soda is dissolved.
- Add 1 drop of liquid hand soap and mix until it becomes bubbly
- Put the mix into a spray bottle
- Shake up the solution and apply generously to the affected area. (The stain should lift in 5-10 minutes)
- Allow the mattress to dry completely
Depending on the storage space that you have available, it is probably a good idea to have a few spare mattresses (or at least one) so that the bed can be made immediately.
Another suggestion is to prevent problems by covering all mattresses with a waterproof mattress pad.