Marriott has launched a new marketing campaign: Travel Brilliantly. As part of their campaign they are asking for innovative ideas from guests. Here are a few of the suggestions that could be applied to hostels.
- No eating alone - Add an area to your restaurants where Business Travelers who are often alone will be able to join other business travelers for a meal. Make it a large family style table for 16 and call it Business A-La-Carte! (Suggested by a former backpacker, perhaps?)
- Recipe submission contest - Use Facebook to host a CY Bistro Recipe Submission contest to create awareness of the Bistro, add menu items, and utilize the major social network for marketing. (This could be done through a hostel’s facebook page for simple cooking ideas. It’s something that could be easily shared with anyone who likes food, and it could help to raise awareness of hostel culture.)
- Skype Booth - Install skype booths in the lobby so visitors can skype home while away. Booths can be customized to feature backgrounds relevant to your location.
- My Netflix, your TV - I'd like to be able to leverage the media, apps, and settings on my phone or tablet device to play media on the hotel room TV screen. (Soul Kitchen Hostel Junior uses Apple TV to display photos, music, and movies from guests with Mac computers. Pretty cool, I have to say!)
- Travel care package - A care package of things you may need for your journey home - earplugs for the plane, hand sanitizer, a snack, etc. Pick it up when you check out! (Also good at check-in if there are things guests might need during their stay.
- Free bicycles with biking maps and panniers – Bicycles and helmets, free to guests (refundable deposit), easily adjustable for size, equipped with panniers for carrying items and a handlebar-attached selection of laminated maps for shopping, dining, sightseeing, fitness routes.
There are many more suggestions on the site. Which other ones do you think might be good for a hostel?