What are your policies (if any) on dealing with trans people in same-sex/gender dorms and bathrooms?
Here are some questions we have:
- Has anyone experienced any issues or situations related to this question above?
- How do you inform your guests on inclusion of trans people in same-gender dorms?
- Do you have it in all of your pre-arrival emails, OTA rules, etc.? Same-gender bathrooms?
- How do you train your team?
- How do you ensure all guests are happy with our policies of inclusion?
- If your hostel did experience any issues, what are some learning points from the incident?
- What wording do you use (if any) to be all-inclusive of the LGBTQ community?
At our hostel, we want to ensure that a transgender person is able to live in a matter consistent with the person's gender identity. We have never encountered any issues.
To note: As of June 2018, 19 jurisdictions including Washington D.C. in the United Sates has adopted laws prohibiting discrimination against transgender individuals in employment, housing, and public accommodations.