What kind of procedure do you have for shift change, when one receptionist leaves and another arrives?
We have a few basic verifications to make sure the money is right:
- Run a transaction report in the register and the PMS (which are separate systems for us) to see how much cash there should be and how much should have been charged to credit cards
- Both receptionists count all the money and sign off on the amount that is being handed over
- Count up all the credit card receipts
- Count the drink/merchandise inventory
- If there are any discrepancies, the departing receptionist needs to identify and correct the mistakes before leaving
We also have steps to ensure that important information is passed on:
- Fill out the log book to pass on any information that needs to reach the entire team
- Run through a standard "getting up to speed" list of questions (ex. is there laundry in the machine that needs to come out? Have the fish been fed? Which guests still need to arrive or depart? Are there any challenges or situations I need to know about? Was there anything on the task list that didn’t get accomplished that I will need to do for you?)
What types of procedures or verifications do you have in your hostel to ensure a smooth shift change?